Conditions of Entry - 2020 SAMDPR - 1 February 2020
- Pigeons to be rung with officially recognised 2019 rings. If these are not available, contact the organizers.
- To ensure an equal opportunity, three reserve pigeons may be sent with every entered pigeon.
- A team consists of four pigeons; one entered and three reserve pigeons.
- Entered is defined as a pigeon that the full entry fee of US$1100 has been paid.
- Only entered pigeons compete for any prize money
- Once pigeons have been assigned to a team they cannot be transferred to another team.
- Should no entry form be received pigeons will be allocated in the order received, entry order of teams can only be changed prior to the first published training flight.
Entry and method of payment
- An entry fee of US$1100.00 per primary pigeon and $250 per reserve shipped to the race must be paid before shipment/transportation of pigeons to South Africa. The $250 deposit per reserve is non-refundable and will only be charged on pigeons received at the lofts in SA, not on pigeons that die in pre-shipping quarantine.
- The completed Entry form is to be faxed or emailed to Air Sport Internationale SA to
+41 22 700 23 49
- If payment is not received, the teams entered will be set to “Default” and no information for these pigeons will be displayed.
- Should no entry form be received, receiving of pigeons into the SAMDPR lofts will deemed to accept these conditions of entry.
- Request your bank to transfer the funds, electronically, directly into Air Sport Internationale SA’s bank account.
Account Name: Air Sport Internationale SA
Bank: UBS SA, Geneva
IBAN: CH94 0024 0240 7525 6860 D
PO Box 2600
1211 Geneva 2
35 Rue des Noisette
Fax or email the proof of the bank transfer to Air Sport Internationale SA administration
+41 22 700 23 49 or [email protected]
You don’t lose - Lost Teams.
- Should the paid entered pigeon of your choice be lost during loft orientation and training, your reserve pigeon will automatically be entered into the race at no extra cost.
- If all your pigeons in a paid team are lost while training with none of them being basketed for the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race, you may have a free entry for the next South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race only. This ruling applies only to full teams of four pigeons and does not apply to teams already activated on a free entry.
- Free entries cannot be used to activate reserve pigeons.
- Unused free entries do not carry over.
Reserve pigeons - the choice is yours
- You have the option of not sending reserve pigeons however incomplete teams will not qualify for the “Lost Team” ruling.
- Should a paid reserve pigeon be lost prior to the main race it will be replaced by another reserve pigeon on that team, if another is not available you will receive a credit of US$750 for the following event refunded.
- A reserve pigeon may be entered at any time by paying the US$ 850 balance of the US$1100 entry fee
- When a preferred pigeon is lost and does not return within two weeks the next available reserve pigeon replaces it. If this preferred pigeon subsequently returns, its status would be that of a reserve pigeon. If lost prior to a Hot Spot Race, the reserve pigeon will replace the lost pigeon immediately.
- Non-entered pigeons may, at the discretion of the organisers, be entered into the race by a third party. This process will commence approximately one week after the last Hot Spot Race.
- Reserve pigeons entered by a third party do not qualify for the Two and Three Pigeon Competitions.
- Reserve pigeons entered by a third party only qualify for prizemoney, trophies and auction proceeds still belong to the breeder of the pigeon.
- Pigeons from defaulted teams will have their breeder information removed and be made available to the public to enter along with unpaid reserve pigeons one week after the last Hot Spot Race. No auction proceeds will be paid out on these pigeons.
Quarantine loft opens
- Pigeons will be received for placement in the quarantine station between 13 May 2019 and 30 June 2019. The loft complex will be closed during the quarantine period.
- Southern African fanciers may also send their pigeons at this stage, should they so wish. These pigeons will then be subject to quarantine.
- Quarantine is lifted 30 days after the last shipment is received. The lofts re-open and pigeons not requiring quarantine will be accepted for 1 more week (first week of August).
General Note: Do not orientate your pigeons!
- Don’t believe that orientating your pigeons before sending them is the answer to winning the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race. We have established that trained pigeons, although totally orientated by us to the race lofts, when stressed try to get back to their loft of origin.
Security and training: No “Fowl” Play - No “Dope”
- We will arrange for your pigeons to be transported to the race lofts where it will receive its own electronic tag.
- Past experience has shown that older pigeons travel better.
- The pigeons will be electronically tagged. The relevant details will be entered into a protected computer database.
- No individual pigeon can be identified at the lofts. The identity ring is covered ensuring that no single pigeon is advantaged over another and that all pigeons have an absolutely equal chance of success.
- International standards applicable to drug abuse are practised in the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race. Samples from winning and other pigeons may be collected under qualified supervision for testing by an internationally accredited laboratory. Only pure “Blue Blood” can win the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race!
- Using the electronic timing system, the loft numbers are maintained via their electronic identity.
- Ongoing information about all aspects of the race will be made known via the press and Internet.
- An official training flight is one where a “Basket List” of the pigeons competing is published.
- Race training should commence in October 2019, with the pigeons progressing to a distance of approximately 350km prior to the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race on the 1 February 2020.
- It is advised to vaccinate your pigeons at least 21 days before shipping them to your shipping agent. Before vaccination please make sure that the vaccine is not contaminated or expired and still viable. The vaccine we use at the SAMDPR is Nobilis Paramyxo P201.
- The following are the recommended steps to follow:
- Do not vaccinate the baby while it is still in the nest and being fed by parents.
- Wait for the babies to be weaned from the parents, only when the baby eats on its own, then you can vaccinate
- After vaccination treat against coccidiosis.
- Wait for 3-4 weeks. REVACCINATE against Paramyxo and then ship the pigeons to SAMDPR
- Air Sport Internationale has set up a network of shippers across the globe which entrants can contact to arrange shipment of their pigeons to the SAMDPR. These shippers are listed on the SAMDPR web site
- The race will cover a distance, dependant on circumstances, to provide a fair test of the pigeon’s ability to negotiate the journey back to the race lofts on the day of liberation from approximately 500km. The pigeons will be liberated as early as practical at the discretion of the organizers. The race will close at the discretion of the organizers.
- On basketing day, all pigeons going to the race will be electronically logged in public, verified by independent Auditors, wing stamped and their identity ring covered again.
- The electronic timing system will place the pigeons in order of their voluntary return to the loft and records times to a fraction of a second in the order determined by the electronic timing system.
Hot Spot Races
- Success on the big day requires that all the pigeons receive the correct preparation. This will include five longer distance training flights in the build up to the main race. (“Hot Spot Races”). All entered pigeons will compete in these Hot Spot Races; that is pigeons whose full US$1100 entry fee has been paid.
- Reserve pigeons not entered will not be eligible to win any Hot Spot Race prize money or Hot Spot Race Averages.
- Hot Spot Race training flights pay 20 prizes.
- In the event that a Hot Spot Race has to be postponed and cannot be rescheduled, prize money will be carried forward to the next Hot Spot Race.
Hot Spot Race Ace Pigeon
- All entered pigeons in the Hot Spot Race training flights compete for the title of Hot Spot Race Ace Pigeon.
- The Hot Spot Race Ace Pigeon is the entered pigeon that completes the combined distance of all the Hot Spot Race training flights in the shortest time.
- Pigeons only compete in this competition from the time they become an entered pigeon.
- In the event of a tie after completion of the Hot Spot Races, the pigeon with the highest placing on the last Hot Spot Race training flight will be the Hot Spot Race Ace Pigeon, winning US$10000.
Two Pigeon Challenge
- The minimum requirement for this competition is an entered pigeon and its entered reserve pigeon from the same team. In a case where more reserve pigeons have been entered by paying the US$1100 entry fee each, the best combination of any of the three or four pigeons would then compete in this competition.
- The best combined velocity of the competing teams on each of the five Hot Spot Races and South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race wins US$2000. Reserve pigeon rules apply to the Two Pigeon Challenge.
Three Pigeon Team Challenge
- Three pigeons in a team have to be entered to compete in this competition. That is an entered pigeon plus its two paid reserves. In a case where more reserve pigeons have been entered by paying the US$1100 entry fee each, the best combination of any of the four pigeons would then compete in this competition.
- The best combined velocity of the pigeons in a team on each of the five Hot Spot Races as well as the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race wins US$3 000.
The Country Challenge
All paid pigeons into the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race can be entered into this competition at a non-refundable entry fee of $120 per pigeon up until liberation of the third Hot Spot Race; no entries will be accepted after this.
Pigeons will compete under the country flag for which they are flying in the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race. $10 of the entry fee will be retained by ASI for expenses and administration and the balance will be paid out as follows:
Hot Spot Races 1 to 4
Three prizes per Hot Spot Race of $125, $75 and $50 will be paid to the first three pigeons per country entered into the Country Challenge.
Fifth Hot Spot Race
$70 from every entry will be added to the starting prize money of $250 for the Country Challenge. All the prize money will be paid out to the first three Country Challenge entered pigeons in a ratio of 50%, 30% and 20%. The web site will have a constantly updated listing of these prizes as well as a list of which pigeons are competing for the prize money per country.
Country Challenge Main Race
Each country competing in the Country Challenge will be given $200 starting prize money and $40 from each Country Challenge entry fee goes to this "winner takes all" prize which will be awarded to the first Country Challenge pigeon per competing country in the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race for that country.
Five rounds - One Winner - US$25 000!
- This competition will take place over the last four Hot Spot Races and the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race.
- Only pigeons entered prior to and basketed for the first Hot Spot Race will be eligible.
- Should any Hot Spot Race be cancelled one of the training flights prior to the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race will be used to calculate the next round’s pigeons.
- Knocked Out pigeons still compete in all other competitions.
- Knock Out Round 1 - Hot Spot Race 2
65% of the entered pigeons returning from the Hot Spot Race will move on to the next round.
- Knock Out Round 2 - Hot Spot Race 3
55% of the above pigeons returning from the Hot Spot Race will move on to the next round.
- Knock Out Round 3 - Hot Spot Race 4
35% of the above pigeons returning from the Hot Spot Race will compete in the next round.
- Knock Out Round 4 - Hot Spot Race 5
20% of the above pigeons returning from the Hot Spot Race will compete in Knock Out Final.
- Knock Out Final Round - South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race
The first timed remaining Knock Out Pigeon will win US$25000.
Grand Average Ace
- All pigeons entered into the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race compete for the title of SAMDPR Grand Average Ace Pigeon, however only fully paid entered pigeons are in contention for any of the prize money.
- The SAMDPR Grand Average Ace Pigeon is the pigeon that completes the combined distance of all the official training flights and the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race in the shortest time.
- Pigeons that have not returned in race time on the final race will not be included in this competition
- In the event of a tie after completion of the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race, the pigeon with the highest placing in the final race will be the SAMDPR Grand Average Ace Pigeon.
- Prize money of US$25000, US$15000 and US$10000 will be paid to the top three fully paid entered pigeons respectively.
Medals and Trophies
- Ten magnificent gold pendants containing 0.5 oz. of gold will be awarded to the top ten prize winners, that is the person who paid the entry fee, in the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race.
- The top ten positions will be awarded a trophy. Should a third party entry win a top ten position, the trophy will be given to the breeder of the pigeon.
The Team - “Only the best”
We have a dedicated team of trainers, veterinarians and loft helpers, who will ensure that all pigeons receive the best possible care for the duration of their training and that they are in top condition for the race.
Over the past 23 years our team have established a remarkable record with pigeons on the day despite some of the toughest conditions; a testimony of the quality of the pigeons and the care that they receive.
- All original pedigrees will be scanned and made available on the web site after liberation of the pigeons for main race of the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race.
- Entrants will have the opportunity to edit strain and general pedigree information as well as upload a copy of the pedigree online via their accounts during the racing season.
- All pedigrees received before the fifth Hot Spot will be scanned and loaded onto the web site by the administration in time for the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race. Pedigrees received after this date will be uploaded in time for the first regional auction.
- It is the responsibility of the entrants to supply pedigrees for their pigeons and the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race does not guarantee the authenticity of the information supplied.
- All pigeons that complete the race may be auctioned at the discretion of the organizers.
- Pigeons placed in the top positions of the official result may be auctioned after the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race, the details of which will be published on our web site.
- Pigeons not auctioned in the top positions after the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race may be auctioned at subsequent regional auctions or online via a pigeon auction web site. A listing of these venues will be published on the web site.
- If no pedigree is received for a pigeon, either electronically or physically, then the original owner of the pigeon will receive 25% of the auction proceeds after costs have been deducted. If a pedigree is received, then the original owner of the pigeon will receive 50% of the auction proceeds after costs have been deducted.
- Auction proceeds will only be paid out once all auctions are completed and costs have been calculated.
- The terms and conditions of the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race read with the official registration/entry form contain the entire agreement between parties and neither party shall be bound by any representations, warranties, undertakings, promises or the like which are not recorded herein. The payment of prize monies is at the sole discretion of Air Sport Internationale SA. Pigeons accepted into the lofts will remain under the control of Air Sport Internationale SA and will be disposed of as per conditions of entry and at the discretion of the organizers. No alteration, variation or cancellation by agreement of, addition or amendment to, or deletion from this agreement shall be of any force or effect unless in writing and signed by or on behalf of the parties.
- This agreement and its interpretation shall be subject to the laws of South Africa. Furthermore the English version of the conditions of entry as published on the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race web site is recognised as the official version.